To be profitable in rabbit farming, you need more than just rabbit rearing knowledge and a good rabbit breed.
You need a comfortable rabbit house to keep your rabbits, a good rabbit housing is very essential to how well your rabbits perform.
Rabbits are sensitive to where they live and once, they are raised in a poor rabbit housing system, they get sick easily.
I am certain, no rabbit farmer wants to have his rabbits always sick and quiet because in worst cases, this environmental sickness can lead to their death.
You don’t want that and we don’t want that for you either, so it’s important you understand in detail what type of rabbit housing your rabbits need.
In this guide, you will learn how to construct a standard rabbit house, you will understand what a proper rabbit housing should look like.
You will see different types of rabbit cages you can build for your rabbits, their advantages and disadvantages.
In addition, you will understand the different materials you need to build your rabbit house.
Lastly, how to keep your rabbits off diseases from the rabbit house.
What is good Rabbit housing?
Table of Contents
- 1 What is good Rabbit housing?
- 2 Characteristic of a good rabbit housing
- 3 Materials needed to construct a rabbit house
- 4 How to make Different types of rabbit house
- 4.1 Pet rabbit house
- 4.2 How to build a pet rabbit house
- 4.3 Standing Hutch box rabbit house
- 4.4 Advantages of standing hutch box rabbit house
- 4.5 Disadvantages of standing hutch box rabbit house
- 4.6 How to Build a standing Hutch box rabbit house
- 4.7 Stacked Cages rabbit house
- 4.8 Advantages of a stacked rabbit housing system
- 4.9 Disadvantages of the stocked box rabbit house
- 4.10 Hanging or Suspended Cages rabbit house
- 4.11 Disadvantages of handing or suspended cages
- 5 How to maintain a clean rabbit housing
- 6 Summary of rabbit housing
A good rabbit house refers to a properly constructed rabbit cage or hutch, for the sole purpose of raising a rabbit or rabbits.
Good rabbit housing should not just provide a place for the rabbits to stay, it should also provide room for their feeding, watering, playing and care for the rabbits.
For domestic rabbits, they live in cages and hutches to prevent them from escaping, when introduced new to a cage, a rabbit might take months to settle.
Within this period, they try to blend with their new home, an uncomfortable rabbit house will affect how they respond to activities such as eating, playing and how they look.
This is totally different from wild rabbits who move in groups and live in burrows and holes and easily settle in a new home.
Characteristic of a good rabbit housing
A good rabbit cage should provide comfort for the rabbits.
This is the only way they enjoy their stay and be very productive, so while constructing your bunny house, ensure they meet the required standard.
These standards include
1. Your rabbit house must have good ventilation: The easiest way to kill a rabbit is to prevent it, access to quality air, your rabbit house must have a good inflow of air.
2. You need to have a temperature regulator; this will help to regulate the temperature in the rabbit house.
When the temperature is high, the temperature regulator will provide a cooling effect, when it goes low, it will provide heat to keep the rabbits warm.
3. You can provide a fan-type air-controlling system, in this case, you’ll need to hire a professional to assist you with the requirements and installation.
4. The roof of the rabbit house should be strong enough to hold rainfall and harsh weather.
5. In a large-scale rabbit farm, rabbit housing roofs are best made with insulated roofs, in the case of rabbit cages, you can use nylon and metal protectors to mount above the roof.
6. Your rabbit house also needs to be protected from wind, you can use shades and zinc to construct a protector. This will help to regulate excess wind.
7. As your rabbit grows, you can make a fence to protect the rabbits from predators such as snakes, goats and other animals within the house, even children.
8. Rabbits are not known for their strength so; the onus is on you to provide them adequate security.
9. Moving forward, you can make a drainage path in the rabbit house, this will make it easier for urine collection. Rabbit urine is of great economic value, you shouldn’t allow it to waste.
10. You can make a small adjustable centre ridge ventilation that will assist you in removing excess moisture from the rabbit house.
11. Your rabbit house should provide comfort and be a place of relaxation for the rabbits, rabbits hate noisy and uncomfortable homes. Your target should be to make a comfortable home for your rabbits.
12. It is important you group the rabbits according to their age and gender; they often fight each other when kept in the same house.
13. There is always a fight for supremacy, to protect the weaker ones, you have to group the rabbits according to their age, strength or gender.
14. Depending on the type of cage you are using, the age and the size of the rabbit, a standard rabbit cage should be at least 35 inches deep, 25 inches high and 30 inches wide.
15. There should be a feed trough and watering system in all your rabbit cages.
16. The floor of the rabbit house should be covered with hays and you should frequently change the hays.
Materials needed to construct a rabbit house
Constructing a rabbit house requires a lot of materials but it all depends on the type of rabbit house you wish to build and your budget.
There is no specific material for all rabbit houses, every type of rabbit house you wish to construct has different materials you will need.
In commercial rabbit farming, the materials are more complex and higher in demand, in local settings, you need cans, woods, boxes, bricks and asbestos sheets, wire meshes, light and nets.
How to make Different types of rabbit house
There are different types of rabbit houses you can build for your rabbits, depending on the number of rabbits you are raising, and for what purpose.
You can build either a pet rabbit box for pet rabbit farmers, standing hutches, suspended cages and stacked cages.
Pet rabbit house
Rabbits are kept as pets to provide companion and friendship to their owners, they are usually not many in number.
They are always one or two, therefore, the desired rabbit house will be different from commercial rabbit farmers who keep a large number of rabbits.
How to build a pet rabbit house
To make a pet rabbit house, you can use a wide plastic box, half fill the box with hays.
Provide a little plastic bowl beside the box from where your pet will drink water.
Do not keep your pet rabbit near the living room or beside a sound system, rabbits barely tolerate loud noise.
They are naturally calm and love a calm environment as well, towels can be used to provide more comfort.
Standing Hutch box rabbit house
This type of rabbit housing is found among beginners, this is because they are relatively easy and cost-effective to construct.
If you just started out in rabbit farming, getting a standing hutch box is ideal, for your farm.
They house few numbers of rabbits and as a beginner, it is right you start small.
It is constructed with majorly wood and a net to protect the rabbits, in most cases, they are made movable.
This way, you can easily bring the box outside and take them inside afterwards.
This type of rabbit housing is best for small rabbit farming systems.
Advantages of standing hutch box rabbit house
They are easy to construct
They do not occupy large space; you need just very little space to place the standing hutch box rabbit house.
They are not expensive to build.
READ ALSO: How to Construct different quality snail farming house [A Complete Snail house construction guide]
They are sometimes moveable; this makes them easy to care for.
This type of rabbit house makes rabbits easy to control.
They are easily replaceable; with a standing hutch box, you won’t find it hard to replace your rabbit house.
Disadvantages of standing hutch box rabbit house
The only disadvantage of this type of rabbit house is that they are difficult to scale as a result of their small size.
They also do not contain many numbers of rabbits therefore, they are only acceptable in small-scale farming.
How to Build a standing Hutch box rabbit house
Choose a place where you can keep an eye on the rabbits. But the rabbit cage should be away from where children play, as rabbits hate noise.
The rabbit cage is built on posts, dig the post holes about 30 centimetres deep. Build the floor one meter above the ground.
You can make the floor with wire mesh but make sure there are spaces between the boards so that urine and faeces sink to the ground.
The front and back posts for the rabbit cage should be 180 millimetres and 170 centimetres respectively.
How to Start and make money from Goat Farming Business [A complete beginners guide on Goat Farming]
This difference produces a slope for the rainfall to drain off. Dig the post holes to a depth of 30 cm. One meter above the ground, construct the floor.
Scrap lumber, fastened close together on the back and sides, will be used to construct the walls. So that the rabbits do not injure themselves, the walls should be smooth.
Adult rabbits require their own hutch otherwise they will fight. A rabbit should be able to stand up and hop around in a hutch that is at least 60 centimetres high, 90 centimetres wide, and 70 centimetres deep at the back.
Make a door in each hutch to allow water and food to be delivered.
Because rabbit pee stinks, the hutch must be well ventilated. Make the front of the cage out of wire mesh to allow light and air in.
If there are no holes in the old corrugated iron sheets, you can utilize them to create the roof.
Create a nest in a tiny box with soft bedding for the female to give birth in. In frigid climates, straw bedding keeps the rabbits warm.
Give the rabbits some water in a bowl. Rats and ants should not be allowed in. On each post, make a rat guard out of a tin.
To keep the ants from crawling up the posts, smear old engine oil on the base of the posts.
Stacked Cages rabbit house
This is a type of rabbit house that involves the stacking of cages; that is, placing cages on each other to form a long stack of cages for the rabbits.
This system is ideal for commercial rabbit farming businesses, they can contain a large number of rabbits.
You can use this system for both outdoor or indoor rabbit farming, all you need is to provide good ventilation and a proper system for urine removal.
In case, you don’t find this easy to build, you can hire a professional to do so for you.
This system is suitable for all types of rabbits, in addition, this system makes identification easy.
Advantages of a stacked rabbit housing system
This system of rabbit house construction allows for the production of a large number of rabbits, this is because the boxes are stacked.
You can have as many boxes as possible provided they provide comfort for the rabbits.
This system makes managing the rabbits easy and stress-free.
They are easy to build provided you have the knowledge of how it’s done.
Disadvantages of the stocked box rabbit house
One of the prominent disadvantages of this type of rabbit house is that they are a little more expensive to construct.
Furthermore, with this system indoors, you need a perfectly built temperature regulator which can come at a high cost.
They are also very costly to maintain, this system is majorly frowned at by farmers who have a low budget.
Hanging or Suspended Cages rabbit house
Handing or suspended cages are common in commercial rabbit farming, in fact, they are the best when it comes to keeping so many rabbits.
Their nature makes rabbits easy to manage, wastes are collected without much work.
This is because the cages are hanged from the ceiling of the building or from different corners of the building.
This makes it easy for the rabbit house to be cleaned and maintained.
READ ALSO: How to start and make money from rabbit farming [A complete beginners guide]
Walk-free spaces are created to enhance accessibility and ease of carrying out activities on the farm.
With this system, temperature regulation is easier because you can make a solid wall in the windward or at the back of the rabbit house.
You can also use nylon to create a canopy-like structure that will aid in temperature regulation.
Disadvantages of handing or suspended cages
The only disadvantage of this system is that it is costly to make and consumes a lot of space.
Below are more pictures of rabbit houses you can replicate
How to maintain a clean rabbit housing
If you want your bunnies to always be happy and playful, you must keep their environment clean.
Aside from their warm expression to a clean house, maintain proper hygiene helps to checkmate diseases in a rabbit farm.
It also prevents unpleasant smells and odours, to keep the rabbit house clean, do the following
1. Remove remnant food materials before supplying new food to the rabbits: Remnant food materials can breed insect pests and another harmful micro-organism is allowed to stay in the rabbit house, it is ideal that you remove them before supplying new food to the rabbits.
2. If you are using a suspended rabbit house, you can make pits for the passage of wastes under the cages and cover the opening with gravel or cement.
3. If the floor of the house is built with concrete, ensure you clean it frequently. If possible, once a day.
4. You can make a free walkway between cages. you can also fumigate the rabbit house once in a while to prevent insect invasion.
5. Properly bag the rabbit wastes to prevent smell and decay.
Summary of rabbit housing
The main target of building a house for your rabbits is to provide comfort for your bunnies.
Rabbits are calm and gentle animals; their house should be constructed to suit their nature.
if your present budget cannot afford a comfortable home, you’re your rabbits, it is better you make arrangements for funds.
READ ALSO: Advantages of Greenhouse Farming in Modern Agricultural Ecosystem
Ensure you construct the rabbit house in a way, you can easily regulate the temperature in the house.
Depending on the weather, rabbits hardly tolerate extreme cold, in such cases, you need a heating system to keep them warm.
This is also applicable to excess heat; a temperature regulator is very essential in your bunny’s house.
Any type of rabbit house you choose to build is ok as long as you keep it clean.
Keeping the rabbit house clean helps to reduce the chances of disease outbreaks.
If you have any questions about rabbit farming or need any help, you can drop your question, comment or ideas on the comment box below.
We will be glad to help.
Kindly share this article by clicking on the social buttons below, it may be benefiting someone else.