Apply for the 2020 IITA Agricultural Project Training
The IITA Agricultural Project Training is an innovative approach to agribusiness training and start-up for Nigeria’s young people. The training tagged Young Africa Works-IITA project was started in May this year by the International Institute for Tropical Agriculture (IITA) in partnership with Mastercard Foundation.
- Host: International Institute for Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
- Age Category: Aged 18 – 35 years
- Qualifications: At least Junior Secondary School 3 (JSS3)
- Reward: Full Training Scholarship with Access to Loan & Support
- Deadline: December 12, 2020.
The project is designed to advance agribusiness opportunity to over 40,000 Nigerian youths, especially women. It focuses on providing skills development, decent employment and entrepreneurship opportunity for youth to secure, dignified and fulfilling work in agri-food value chains for the next five years.
The Young Africa Works-IITA project has partnered with financial institutions such as Sterling Bank, NIRSAL to facilitate access to sources of finance and credit. Access to post training support will be facilitated by the project.
Aim of the IITA Agricultural Project Training
The aim of the project include
- To strengthen agricultural training for young people.
- Provide youth, particularly young women with the skills needed to better compete for decent employment and develop their own successful businesses in agriculture and agro-processing,
- Develop youth-sensitive loan and agribusiness support programs in collaboration with financial institutions that recognize the specialized needs of youth as agricultural borrowers.
- Transition youth vocational training center into youth agribusiness parks that offer workspace, experiential learning, opportunities and collective services to youth.
Benefits of the IITA Agricultural Project Training
- Access to free training on selected agribusinesses: The IITA Agricultural Project Training is currently seeking applicants within Kaduna, Kano, and Lagos, to build their capacity to be trained and work within the supported value chain of rice, soybean, maize, cowpea, poultry, vegetable, mushroom, groundnut, fish and livestock.
The project and training will focus on; Entrepreneurial and Employment track Entrepreneurship Track.
- Free training and implementation aid: The program has identified several enterprises and successful agribusiness models attractive to youths. This will guide the intended beneficiaries to produce a bankable business plan at the end of this training track.
- Finance and credit will be available: The Young Africa Works-IITA project has partnered with financial institution such as Sterling Bank, NIRSAL to facilitate access to sources of finance and credit.
- Support after training: Access to post-training support will be facilitated by the project.
- Employment opportunities. The program is aware of the skills gap between youth and potential employers, as a result, this training aims to better match these two interests.
- Assisting in Job search:This will be conducted through commercial internships and mentorship in order to further advance skills development and find better jobs. Youth emerging from employment-track training are provided assistance to find decent jobs through professional placement services.
- Aged 18 – 35 years
- Must be ordinarily resident in the respective municipal area (and live within 5km radius of a cluster)
- Must have attained at least Junior Secondary School 3 (JSS3) for entrepreneurship track & a diploma for employment track
- Willingness to commit at least 6 weeks for the training
- Must demonstrate passion for agriculture
- Interest in the project focus commodities
- Must have access to a functional mobile phone
- Affiliation to a registered association is an added advantage
Method of Application
Before aplying, kindly note that
- Limited Forms are also available at a) Lagos State Agricultural Development Authority, 371 Oko-Oba, Agege Motor Rd, Agege, Lagos b) IITA office, National Agricultural Extension and Research Liaison Services (NAERLS) office complex, Zaria Kaduna State. c) International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Sabo Bakin Zuwo Road, Kano State.
- Application period: November 12th to December 12th, 2020
- A follow-up interview may be conducted for the final selection of beneficiaries to be considered for the training. Contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
November 12th to December 12th, 2020
How to apply
Click below to apply